Background & Experience
Clinical Experience and Credentials:
For over 25 years, I have provided counseling services in the form of individual, couples, family and group therapy to families, adults, couples, adolescents, and children in the San Diego area. During this time, I worked for Scripps Memorial Hospital and Rady Children’s Hospital’s Department of Outpatient Psychiatry, where I created and administered two intensive outpatient treatment programs designed to address clients struggling with addiction, depression, anxiety, and impaired family communication. Additionally, I served as the Director of the Wellness Center and the Director of Counseling Services and Training at Point Loma Nazarene University. In the fall of 2014, I implemented the Behavioral Health Counseling Services at Palomar College where I currently provide direct services and oversight of mental health services for students enrolled at the college.
In recent years, as an adjunct faculty, I have been an instructor for Point Loma Nazarene University and Azusa Pacific University, teaching graduate-level courses for the Masters in Clinical Counseling program, Organizational Management, and Department of Marriage and Family Therapy respectively. Lastly, I serve as a board member on the board of directors for the Alabaster Jar Project. Alabaster Jar Project provides a long-term residential program for women who have survived human trafficking & sexual exploitation. The residential program, Grace House, facilitates spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional healing along with an array of support services that include educational & vocational opportunities. Alabaster Jar Project exists to help women experience spiritual, physical, mental and emotional healing, by providing a safe living environment along with an array of support services and educational opportunities. For more information visit: https://www.alabasterjarproject.org/
I have been in private practice for over 20 years and worked extensively with adolescents, young adults, professional athletes, musicians and artists, collegiate athletes, and adults with struggling with depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and addictions including chemical dependency and sexual addictions, family dynamics associated with addiction, and individuals post-treatment and in recovery.
I am a frequent presenter at college campuses, conferences, community agencies, and churches on topics including intervention, managing and improving your mood, addictions, relationship enhancement, the therapeutic benefits of humor and the practice of gratitude and optimism.
As an interactive, solution-focused therapist, my approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. I integrate complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. I am dedicated to work with each individual, couple and family, helping enrich, equip and empower their relationships. With compassion and understanding, I wish to support each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
I specialize in in individual, couples and family systems using cognitive behavioral techniques and emotionally focused therapies. Among my areas of expertise are mood disorders, addictions recovery, parenting and relationship enrichment, and strengths-based self-esteem improvement.
Professional Speaking and Presentations:
I am a frequent presenter at college campuses, conferences, seminars and churches on topics including intervention, managing and improving your mood, addictions, the therapeutic benefits of humor and the practice of gratitude and optimism. For a complete listing or current workshops and presentations, please see listings provided under the professional speaking and presentations section of this biographical page. For a comprehensive listing of available presentations, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Degrees, Licenses, Certifications and Professional Development:
- Ed.D – Doctoral degree in Higher Education Leadership, from Azusa Pacific University, Los Angeles, California
- M.A. in Counseling Psychology, National University, San Diego, California
- B.A. in Biology, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, California
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, California, MFC #35598
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapist (CAMFT) Approved Clinical Supervisor
- PREPARE/ENRICH Couples Counseling Facilitator
- Certified Intervention Specialist, Johnson Institute, Minneapolis, MN
- SASSI (Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory) Certification (2011, 1996)
- EMDR Trained Therapist- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Specialized therapeutic approach that can help alleviate the effects of traumatic and distressing life events such as abuse and shame.
- Gottman Institute Trained Therapist – Gottman Method / Gottman Relationship Checkup
- Premarital PREPARE/ENRICH- Certified facilitator of PREPARE/ENRICH, a researched assessment meant to help premarital couples discuss strengths and areas for growth before engagement or marriage.
- Continuous professional development includes participation with Dr. John Gottman and the Gottman Relationship Institute, Emotionally Focused Therapy/Externship with Dr. Sue Johnson, EMDR, Trauma-Focused CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), Critical Incident Debriefing, and Bereavement Counseling
Professional Activities & Memberships
Faculty and Administrative Positions:
- 2006- Present: Senior Adjunct Professor, Graduate Psychology Department, Azusa Pacific University, San Diego Regional Center, California
- 2016 – Present, Adjunct Faculty, Organizational Leadership, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA.
- 2017- Present, Adjunct Faculty, Masters in Clinical Counseling, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA.
- 2006 – 2011: Director of the Wellness Center, Wellness Center, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, California
- 20011-2012: Director of Counseling Services and Training, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, California
Clinical Administrative Positions:
- 2006 – 2011: Director of the Wellness Center, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, California
- 2011 – 2012: Director of Counseling Services and Training, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, California
- 1994 – 1997: Co-Director of FIRST STEP, McDonald Center, Scripps Memorial Hospital
Courses Taught (Instructor ):
Instructor for the following college and graduate school courses:
- 2011 – Present: Band of Brothers, Iron Men Ministries, Church at Rancho Bernardo
- 1995 – 1997: MFT Intern, Counseling Center, Claremont Emmanuel Baptist Church·
- 1995 – 1996: MFT Intern, Sharp Hospice & Palliative Care, Grossmont Hospital·
- 1989 – 1992: President/Associate Pastor, Beyond College, College Avenue Baptist Church·
- 1978 – 1980: Chaplain, Kappa Phi Kappa, Point Loma Nazarene University